Sunday, March 18, 2007

Czech me out in Prague

I may be museumed out already. I like art and all, I am just not a huge fan of history and I know exactly what types of art and exhibits I like. My roommate Dave and I went to the Communist Museum and the Mucha Museum. The Communist Museum wasn't much to speak of, although the movie was very educational- it really got me interested in the Velvet Revolution and communism. Phrases like, "You can't wash your underwear, but you can get your brain washed" along with great reused propaganda and graphic design made the postcards the best part of the museum.

The Mucha Museum was really great though. Although the museum has poor lighting, it was very intimate (I think museums are generally too big) and very personal. Each lithograph had a small description of the piece and there was a movie that gave a brief history of the artist. If you don't recognize the name Alfonse Mucha, please go here to see his work. I'm sure something will look familiar: http://www.muchafoundation.org/mucha/page.php?page=front

Mucha is now one of my favorite artists. I appreciated his work before, but seeing his history and his prints up close made me appreciate his work even more. If you can find it, look up the painting "Star" (aka "Winter Night" or "Siberia")- it is a huge painting and uses so much symbolism... as does most if not all of his other works. I could write so much about his use of color and symbolism and what his influences were... but alas, I must go meet some people for dinner. To be continued...

The Astronomical Clock





Something famous in Prague....

3 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, March 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clever heading! Yes, I think I recognized his poster works. I searched and searched for a picture of your favorite painting and couldn't find it so I printed out MY favorite, "Woman in the Wilderness". Later went to 'search' to find yours and behold it's the same one. It stated she is a Russian peasant woman who, with a gesture of acceptance and an air of deep peace, is committing herself to her inevitable fate. What fun it is for you to travel-I learn too. Thanx.
Grandma

 
At 3:22 AM, March 19, 2007, Blogger nicole said...

I don't know if you can really see it online or in your printout, but there are wolves in the upper left background... I would have bought a print for you if they sold it at the museum gift store!n Love you Gramma!

 
At 8:07 AM, August 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a lot of museums in Prague. And once a year there is a museum night. It's a great event, you can visit any museum free and moreover transportation is organized for this event.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home