Monday, December 18, 2006

Can You Believe It?

New York City (population 8.2 million within an area of 321 square miles) does NOT have a mandatory recycling program.

I admit that I am kinda obsessed with recycling (I alert the media when I find a soda can in the garbage) but a city the size of New York with a "suggested" recycling program is a CRIME!!! Isn't this the city that had problems with WHERE to put their garbage? I remember when a barge was stuck out in the Hudson River because they had no place for disposal. Hmmm.... and THAT was in the 90s.

Ok, so NYC HAS a full recycling program, apparently nobody cares to actually recycle. I cringed when I had to put my water bottle in with the "real" garbage- the garbage that already contained newspapers, many Starbucks cups and other plastic containers and bottles. I nearly brought all of my recyclables home to Portland so as not to contribute to the insanity. (In fact, after I wrote this, I went home and unpacked and I HAD brought my empty travel-size shampoo bottle home with me.)

Am I missing something here? Is it DIFFICULT to use two separate containers for waste? Does it not help our environment? If all those items WEREN'T in the landfill, how is that NOT worth it? Is it not economically feasible for some reason? My very conservative "hometown" in South Dakota has a mandatory program in place and the population there is only 62,167. What does that say about you, New York?

This is just plain unacceptable. Attention New Yorkers: your taxes will go up LESS if you do your part to recycle.... think of it as one extra pair of fancy shoes per year.

http://www.nrdc.org/cities/recycling/gnyc.asp#tips

3 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, December 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole! You will be proud of Izzy and Izaak.... they are the recycling police!! If they see someone throw something in the garbage that can be recycled they say "if your not a part of the solution then your part of the problem"!!! They are so good about it. I just thought u might like to hear that!! I love you and miss you tons!!
~Angie

 
At 1:32 PM, January 07, 2007, Blogger Webly said...

Same with Hawaii! How can you live on an island and not care about what goes in the garage and where that garage goes?!

 
At 2:02 PM, January 08, 2007, Blogger nicole said...

Crazy to think of it, but it probably happens more than you & I could imagine Webly...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home