Thursday, November 30, 2006

Frustrated.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated because I feel like I will offend friends and family who read my blog. I have never been one to sugarcoat the truth or my thoughts or opinions, so it worries me that I will create drama by writing truthfully and candidly about my thoughts, ideas and opinions.

On one hand, I use this blog as a kind of diary for my life. I do this so that people can keep up with my life without having to talk to me everyday. I don't know if that is the right approach, because it is one-sided: only a handful of my friends actually HAVE blogs AND keep up with them (and some of them aren't about their daily happenings, which I think is so great.) So everyone knows what's going on in my life, but I don't always know what's going on in theirs. (I also think this is kind of ok since it forces people to stay in touch by phone or in person which I MUCH prefer. Also- please leave comments!!)

On the other hand, if this blog/diary is for ME, then I should be able to vent if I need to or express whatever is on my mind and NOT restrain myself. Some worthwhile realizations come from the naked truth.... Whether its good or bad.

I guess the question then becomes, who is this blog FOR and who am I trying to please? Myself or my friends and family? WHO IS MY AUDIENCE? Is it worth publishing what I think at the risk of offending the people that I love? Can I just make these "potentially offensive" posts private instead of public? I suppose so, but what would be the point (really) of having a blog?

But I think most importantly, can I censor myself if I don't even believe in censorship? The answer is no. And the solution to my rejection of censorship (in general) is that if it offends you or if you don't like it or understand it, don't read it. Or listen to it. Or watch it. How's THAT for not sugarcoating?

So, I will now be writing without restraint. If you are easily offended or if you find that you disagree with me often, perhaps my blog is not for you. Or maybe this is a great opportunity for you to express YOUR views (in the comments section, by phone or in person) relative to the subject of any post. I'd love to hear from you!

This is already refreshing. Ahhhhh.

5 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my mom found my personal blog I made it private. I just wasn't ready for her to read it.
Some people have been fired for publishing their thoughts on the web. And it's really weird when someone finds your blog who you didn't know was reading it, but you just happen to see them 5 days a week...
I prefer to know a little about those who are reading about my personal life. So for now - my personal blog is for close friends and my cooking blog is for the world.

 
At 8:07 PM, December 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole! I can't speak for your whole family but I can speak for a few of us..... we LOVE reading your blog.... whether or not we agree with you! We love you and respect what you have to say!!
xoxo
Angie

 
At 1:41 PM, December 04, 2006, Blogger nicole said...

thanks you guys! Your support makes me feel so much better! love you! nicole

 
At 11:12 PM, March 05, 2007, Blogger Wade said...

Buddha explained right speech as: 1. to abstain from false speech, especially not to tell deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully, 2. to abstain from slanderous speech and not to use words maliciously against others, 3. to abstain from harsh words that offend or hurt others, and 4. to abstain from idle chatter that lacks purpose or depth.

 
At 12:57 PM, March 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicole - Marcelene Cox said this "It is all right to say exactly what you think if you have learned to think exactly". I trust you on this Nicole as I feel that you are open to and want to explore all the possibilities that exist in regard to the many issues that face us today ie; politics, religion, christianity etc. Where many of us stand depends on our moral or christian values or lack of either. My faith in God helps me from taking a "world view" on everything. I admire you for opening-up yourself for us to better know you. You are intelligent, caring and have a passion for knowing the world around you-good job.
I love you - Grandma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home