Monday, March 26, 2007

Amsterdam with Jocham

Jocham and I got a late start yesterday. We made it to brunch at Winkel. Then we went to rent me a bike! Apparently, my bike is not a tourist bike but a public transportation bike. This doesn't make me feel like any less of a tourist, unfortunately.

Stedelijk Museum
Just down the street is the temporary location for the Stedelijk Museum, which Jocham insisted that we see. His company, dutchtub (http://www.dutchtub.nl/), designed a rooftop garden with 2 tubs at the top of the building.



There were two exhibits- the building itself is nothing to brag about. One exhibit was called "Mapping the City" and the other was "Lights and Drawings." Upstairs, we went to a bar/cafe called "11" and had a drink and planned out our last portion of the day.

We decided to go to Het Schip Housing Estate. The style is called The Amsterdam School. It was quite the train wreck of a building complex, but fun to see nonetheless. I think the architects of this movement just wanted to be as weird as they could possibly be.





We then went to meet my friend Norbert, who I met in Guatemala. All I have to say is that I'm glad Amsterdam is flat because it was a 20 minute bike ride.

Oh wait! Time for some HODOGS.

1 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, March 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're having so many experiences-riding a bike in Amsterdam-WOW! That tub really looks BIG.
Love Grandma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home