Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Martes 09 de Mayo

Sense of Direction
My sense of direction is so messed up here. Antigua is just north of the equator at 14.34N 90.41W. I noticed it first at Iglesia de Santa Clara on Saturday. I was checking out the shadows for a high tech photo with my disposible camera when I noticed the angle of the shadow on a wall. I stood there for a minute in shock. It must have been 160 degrees!

For the first few days I was here, I thought that north was south I was so mixed up. I guess I just assumed that they make maps with south being up here. (???) Now I have my bearings and I know what time of day it is relative to the sun. I have never been this close to the equator before and I value very highly my sense of direction so I was stunned to realize how wrong I was.

Because we are in the mountains, it gets light outside a lot earlier than the sun actually comes up. This makes it kinda confusing when I'm trying to figure out what to wear in the morning- it appears as if it is cloudy, but really the sun is just behind the volcano.

3 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, May 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Nicole! I miss you! I too have lost my sense of direction to the gym. It sounds like a good time. I wish I could have goten my shit together. I really admire what your doing keep it up!

 
At 6:44 PM, May 10, 2006, Blogger nicole said...

Thanks Steph! I think about you on Tiesdays and wonder if you are keeping it up....I miss you too! Thanks for reading.

xo, nicole

 
At 1:22 PM, May 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

South is up? You have had too many cervesas already I think

 

Post a Comment

<< Home