Friday, May 04, 2007

The Longest Mile

So, I ran a timed mile this morning. Now I remember WHY I haven't done it for 15 years. I was forced to do it in my junior high school gym class and that was the last time. I am racking my brain to remember what my time was back then...

Some people are runners. They have "practiced" all their life, they know how to breathe & how to pace themsleves, they were in track in high school, they run occaisional marathons. Those people have fit lungs and DON'T have big boobs.

And some people are NOT runners. Like me. I hate running. I had a sideache halfway through and I thought I was going to throw up when I was done. Oh joy! I am used to sprinting, like you do in soccer and softball. Running at the same pace for more than 30 seconds is just not my cup o' tea. I think I will have nightmares about running tonight.

I suppose you are wondering what my time was. I am embarassed to say that it was 11m04s. In my defense, the first quarter-mile was UPHILL, ok? And the entire course was not flat. I walked probably a quarter-mile of it.

I guess I consider myself a fairly fit person, which is why I am so disappointed in myself. I go to the gym regularly and I eat healthy, for the most part. Apparently I am not as fit as I thought I was. Oh well, more reason to celebrate Cinco de Mayo tomorrow.

The only reason I am remotely proud of even doing it is because I actually FINISHED (I debated walking the entire thing) and because I get to test myself again in 3 more weeks. Hopefully I will have improved. (I hope there's a holiday to celebrate in three weeks in case I don't improve.) I'll let you know how I do. In the meantime, if anyone has any tips for "beginners," please pass them on. Muchas gracias y feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, May 04, 2007, Blogger teresa said...

nice work! i recently bought an expensive pair of running shoes with the hope of getting in better shape, too! i figure it will be something to fill my time if i get lonely/bored in my little japanese village.
it's TOUGH to get started. although my whole family runs (triatheletes, marathon runners), my bust makes it difficult too. but i'm working on it. . .
good luck!

 
At 10:40 PM, May 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicole-I HATE running too! Gramma

 
At 11:36 AM, May 07, 2007, Blogger nicole said...

Thanks ladies! I could not believe it- I was so scared I was goin to be super sore all weekend, but Daniel (my boot camp "coach") suggested taking a hot bath friday night. I did and I was BARELY sore!

I also found it hard not to think in terms of my mile this weekend- I heard the phrase, "Five and a half minutes" and instatly I thought, "I can run a half mile in that amount of time. And, when I was supposed to call someone back in ten minutes, I thought, "I am going to try to run my next mile in THAT amount of time." Ahhhh! Today is better though. I am not referencing everything in my mile-running mentality.

love you guys!
nicole

 
At 1:46 PM, May 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now thats funny stuff. You know Autumn ran all through junior high, high school and even got the running scholorship for college and guess what she always had big boobs to. And yes I know she did not get them from me. LOL. However, I remember having to buy her very good sports bras, so don't use that for an excuse. GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!
Love you and hang in there.
Aunt Lori

 
At 8:31 AM, May 26, 2007, Blogger Webly said...

Running is so hard, even if you're in shape because you're wiggling parts of your body you don't normally move that way and the boobs! What type of sports bra do you have? I've been in the market for a new one because I've been trying to run the treadmill at the gym instead of the eleptical.

 
At 2:02 PM, August 07, 2007, Blogger nicole said...

I have all Nike sports bras. My favorite is a criss-cros one that hooks in the back. I like the criss-cross because the front has a deep-V so I don't have uni-boobs and it seemes offer better support. I have heard that the Hind brand of sports bras a re the best for large chests...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home