Monday, May 15, 2006

First Day of Teaching

Whew! My first day of teaching is over. Because (and possibly only because) I prepared for the worst, my first day turned out really well. The girls were fairly well-behaved and attentive. I really like seeing their smiling faces when I walk in the room or when they are commended for getting the right answer. That part is so rewarding.

But although it went well and I want to write only about the good things about my first day of teaching, you wouldn't be here for long and I wouldn't feel right.... there are so many problems. First, only the first class' teacher was in the room while I was teaching. When I left my third class, there was no teacher in sight, nor was there a teacher in the room until I was leaving my second class. Suzie says she just leaves anyway- it happens to her all the time.

Second, I need to retrain these girls to do some things differently than they have been taught. 1.) These classes need to be taught in English, not Spanish. 2.) The classes need to be more active so that attention is kept and learning is encouraged. 3.) Small things like every single girl handing their paper to me individually when they are done is completely ridiculous. "Pass it forward" was employed today. I hope it won't be too difficult to retrain....

Samantha and Suzie have made some bad habits that make it harder for us to teach and for the girls to learn. I tested the "mostly English" (as opposed to teaching in their native language) today and they did really well. These girls are not stupid and they gather a lot from pictures (I have artistic talent working to my advantage) and motions. Teaching in English also relieves a lot of stress from me in that now I don't have to put so much pressure on myself to speak Spanish well and fit into their routine. This way, they fit into my routine and my rules.

Another positive thing about today is that another girl just arrived from Oklahoma. She is getting her degree in Teaching English as a Second Language. She is on my side about teaching in English (not Spanish) and she will also help me stop the Australian and British spellings and phrases. If these girls are going to use English they will be using it in the USA. No more "colours" or "Good day!"

No more time today, I will definitely write about the progress in the next 2 weeks that I am here.

3 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Andrew said...

Woohoo for people from Oklahoma!! Thanks for the postcard Nicole. Your truck is sitting outside our house and I think some bums have made a home inside the back but no worries, I feed them everyday.

 
At 12:04 AM, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds as tho' you experienced some of the rewards of teaching your VERY FIRST DAY, maybe you'll get hooked on teaching. What's with those teachers anyway? Also sounds like you have workable solutions for retraining. You know, kids learn so quickly and like to please their teacher-so keep at it. Yea for the ally. Keep blogging, I love it. .

 
At 7:24 AM, May 17, 2006, Blogger nicole said...

Thanks guys! Thanks again for babysitting my pickup and thanks for the encouragement teaching.

Keep feeding the bums until I get back.

nicola

 

Post a Comment

<< Home